Frequently Asked Questions

Transferring Credit

Open All Tabs
  • How do I transfer my AP scores?

    In order to receive credit for College Board AP examinations, you must have official score results forwarded directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission from the College Board. The University of Miami's school code is 5815.

    Advanced Placement Program®

    Find Out More

  • How do I transfer my IB scores?

    In order to receive credit for IB examinations, you must have official score results forwarded directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission from the IB Office.

    IB Office
    (301) 202-3025 

    Find Out More

  • How do I transfer my existing credits? (Dual Enrollment/ Transfer)

    To have credit hours evaluated for work that you have already completed at another regionally accredited college or university (Ex: dual enrollment), you are required to submit all official college transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admission either electronically to or by mail to any of the following addresses:

    Mailing Address
    University of Miami
    Office of Undergraduate Admission
    P.O. Box 249117
    Coral Gables, FL 33124-9117   

    Find Out More

  • Can I transfer credits to the University of Miami if I attend another university during the fall term?

    Yes, you can transfer credits from any regionally accredited institution, and as long as:

    1. You were enrolled as a non-degree seeking student
    2. Courses MUST be at least 6 weeks long 
    3. Must have a passing grade of C or higher 

    * Note: UM will not accept any Physical Education, Professional, or Technical courses.

    Each course you want to come in as an equivalent must go through the TCEE process. 

    Find Out More

  • How do I get equivalency for courses I’ve already taken or am going to take?

    For classes that you would like to have evaluated for UM equivalency, you will have to complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Process for credit to be awarded by the University of Miami.

    To do so, please:

    1. Access MATES Form: Log in to the MATES form, located here.

    2. Enter Coursework: Input the coursework you plan to take at the outside institution into the form along with your syllabus and any other documentation that you may have. Submitting incorrect documents at this stage of the process can delay your evaluation.

    3. Submit MATES Form: Classes that have already been evaluated and approved will not go through the review process and you will be given a decision at that point. Classes that do need to be reviewed will then be sent to a faculty evaluator who will review and determine the course equivalency.

    4. Faculty Evaluation: The faculty evaluator will carefully review the course material and make a determination on whether the course(s) are approved for transfer credit. This process ensures that all courses are evaluated thoroughly.

    5. Notification of Decision: You will receive notification from the faculty evaluator regarding the approval status of the course(s). The decision will be one of the following: accepted with a direct equivalent, accepted without a direct equivalent, more documentation required, or not accepted.

    6. Final Steps: If the course(s) are approved, you will need to ensure that official transcripts are sent to the University of Miami upon completion of the course(s). The credits will then be added to your record.

    For complete details, please follow the link below:

    Find Out More

Degree Planning

Open All Tabs
  • Can I change my major?

    You may request a change of major within your school or college by submitting a change of major request form in the Applicant Portal. Requests within your school or college will be reviewed and processed by the Office of Undergraduate Admission through mid-May. 

    Requests to change your major outside of your admitted school or college can be submitted to your academic advisor after the first day of classes in the fall. Note that several programs may have waiting lists for current UM students, including but not limited to Neuroscience and Traditional B.S.N.

    In addition, current UM students may not transfer to Miami Herbert Business School until they have satisfied the math requirement. Still other programs, such as the Frost School of Music and Theatre Arts B.F.A., may require auditions, and admission is highly selective.

    Find Out More

  • What will my first semester schedule look like?

    A first semester schedule typically includes the following:

    • 1 Math Course
    • 1 First Year Writing Course
    • 2 Major Courses
    • 1 Elective Course

    *Note: one’s schedule can vary based on the School/College requirements, degree program, transfer credits, special group affiliation, etc.

    Your transitional advisor will help you to make sure you have a schedule that will set you up for your success here at UM.

  • How do I find out my course requirements?

    The University Bulletin is the guide to every program and department at the University of Miami It includes essential information like admission and graduation requirements, financial information, and academic procedures.  You can find it on our UM home page; or by clicking on the Bulletin. Advisors will help clarify graduation requirements, but students are ultimately responsible for meeting all requirements.


Open All Tabs
  • Do I have to take a math class during my first semester?

    While it is not technically required (depending on your major), we highly encourage students to take math as soon as possible to minimize the gap in math instruction, and to work towards meeting the quantitative requirements of your degree program.

  • How do I decide which math class to take?

    Your math course placement is determined in one of three ways:

    1. If you were admitted with an SAT/ACT test, your score may be used for math placement.

    2. If you were admitted test-optional without an SAT/ACT test or if you attended high school outside of the United States, you must complete the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment to determine the appropriate math course for you.

    3. If you have an approved AP Calculus score of 3 or 4, your result may be used for math placement.

    *Please see the Math Placement Guide (Domestic Student) for the course in which you are able to enroll.

    *Option: If a higher-level math placement is desired, you can opt to take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment for consideration.

    Find Out More

  • If I’m not test optional, can I still take the ALEKS math placement assessment?

    Yes – any student can take the ALEKS placement, once for practice and then up to twice with a proctor to earn a score for math placement.

    Find Out More

Academic Program Information

Other FAQs